Go Beyond & 80 Years – Celebration at Sheraton Grand Bangalore
Sheraton is celebrating 80 years of existence in the Hospitality Industry. The celebration for this occasion is called “GO BEYOND & 80 YEARS”. To celebrate this occasion, Sheraton Grand Bangalore invited couple of guests to spend the entire days. They planned various activities like – Baking Masterclass, Sunday brunch and Property tour. These activities were chosen to showcase some of the Sheraton Culture, which have been their hallmark over the years. I was lucky to be chosen for being part of the event and this writeup reflects my experience.
Masterclass in Baking
It was time to put on the Chef hats and get into the Baking unit at Sheraton Bangalore. Executive Chef told all that we will be involved in making Plum Cake. It sounded quite exciting, but at the same time it was a little scary. I breathed a sigh of relief, when Chef told that we will only be helping the Bakery Chef.
- Chef had already setup all the ingredients in their required proportions that goes into making the Plum cake. The steps for making Plum cake sounded quite easy when I heard from Chef. Instead of sharing the recipe, I will share some of the important points.
- Plum cake contains many ingredients like– Flour, Butter, Salt, Sugar, Egg, Lemon Juice, Dry fruits, Rum, Cinnamon and others.
- The most critical activity in making Plum cake is the mixing of Butter and Flour. Correct mixture, lets the cake get all the pores.
- Rum is added while the batter is being mixed with the butter. It is very critical to keep mixing and add small portions of rum instead of pouring it all at one shot.
- Addition of Cinnamon, Salt, Sugar needs to be added after first round of mixing. These are very essential to give the required flavour to Plum cake.
- Once the mixture is ready, the next step would be to put the mixture in a baking container. Let the mixture bake for nearly 40-45mts at 180-degree temperature.
Sheraton Grand baking team was kind enough share a portion of the plum cake that we collective prepared. The taste was quite awesome, and I feel confident of baking a Plum Cake by myself.
This undoubtedly was the best part of the afternoon because I love the Sunday Brunch at Sheraton Grand. I taste, and variety is quite large, making it one of the largest Sunday Brunch across 5-star properties in Bangalore.
While having the food guests can enjoy the performance by Live Band. They also play some songs on request which is good.
There is also a section for kids with plenty of toys to play while parents/elder can enjoy the afternoon meal.
Chaats – This is the section that most of Indian would visit, as we all love the spicy, tangy, sweet flavours in chaat. I tasted Sev Puri which had a mix of many veggies, curds, seva (savouries), mint-chutney and many spicy. The chaat tasted very good.
Neer Dosa – It is the simplest and healthiest Dosa as it hardly any oil added while making it. The dosa was soft and served with 3 different chutneys and traditional saagu. The taste was awesome that I ended taking 2 portions. My friends loved the taste and we ended up taking many more plates.
Thai – I asked for Chef to sauté veggies and add Thai Red Curry into it. It was the tastiest and healthy dish which I could eat with/without rice.
There was also live counter were Korean Pancakes were being made.
Desserts – This is another special counter where dessert is made on a cold-stone. Guests can add chocolate, strawberry & other sauces along with nuts. I asked for a Deep Purple flavour based dessert to be served along with some dry-fruits.
Indian section was one of my favourite, where I found some of my favourite dishes like – Sarson Ka Saag, Paneer Butter Masala and Daal Makhani. These are basic dishes, but it is critical that the restaurant gets it right every time. The varieties of rice and salad were also good.
Sunday Brunch had more counters serving food from Mediterranean cuisine, Italian Cuisine and a large Salad counter.
The counter had a special sentence that said, “Life is uncertain, Eat Dessert First”. Every dessert in this counter pulls the guests towards it as they look tempting. Some of the desserts that I loved were Fresh Fruit Tart, Pana Cotta, White chocolate pastry, Brownie with hot chocolate and Macaroons.
Along with the food, I took a glass of Shiraz Rose and bartender choice of Orange flavoured mocktails.
Tour of the Sheraton Property
Sheraton Grand Property at Bangalore is quite large and wonderful. Dining options available at this hotel include– Feast, Bene, Persian Terrace, Lobby Lounge and Pool Bar. Every restaurant has unique interiors which suits different kind of guests.
The hotel celebrates every festivity grandly. For this years Christmas, they have made a beautiful Ginger Bread House, Christmas Tree and Sledge. These creations are present in the main entrance lobby.
About Sheraton Hotels
- 1937, Sheraton founders Ernest Henderson and Robert Moore acquire their first hotel in Springfield, Massachusetts. Within two years, they purchase three hotels in Boston and expand holdings to include properties from Maine to Florida.
- Sheraton was the first hotel chain to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- April 1995, ITT Sheraton introduced a new, mid-scale hotel brand, Four Points by Sheraton Hotels, to replace the designation of certain hotels as Sheraton Inns.
- 1998, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. acquired ITT Sheraton, outbidding Hilton. Under Starwood’s leadership, Sheraton began renovating many hotels and expanding the brand’s footprint.
- 2016, Marriott International purchased Starwood Hotels, and the newly-merged company became the largest hotel and resort company in the world.
It was a wonderful Sunday afternoon spent at one of the Best Luxury Property at Malleswaram, Bangalore. Every activity planned for the guests – Masterclass in Baking, Sunday brunch and Property Tour was fun. It was a great way to showcase Sheraton culture and also the reason for its staying in business for more than 80-years. I wish Sheraton Group good luck for many more anniversaries and success.
Sheraton Grand Bangalore
Sheraton Hotels and Resorts