MPOC – Blogger Meet in Bangalore (2016)
Palm oil is suitable for vegan, vegetarian, and non-dairy diets. It’s best to look for unmodified, organic red palm oil, which can be found at your local natural foods store.
The fact that palm oil is solid at room temperature, has a neutral taste, and can be extracted without the use of solvents, has made it a very useful ingredient in organic food processing. The only other organic fats which are solid at room temperature are butter and coconut oil, both of which are more highly saturated.
Malaysia is the biggest producer and exporter of the Palm Oil in this world. They have been doing the same over a 100 years. But there are many myths around the Palm Oil which works sometimes against the sale of Palm Oil. The biggest myth is that the production of Palm Oil will lead to wide-spared deforestation. This is a false claim made by countries who rely on importing palm oil due to the lack of their own production. This has eventually triggered the Malaysian government to create a ‘Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC)’ which actually promotes the market expansion of Malaysian Palm oil and its products.
- Blind-Folded Food Tasting Session
- Use of clues to find out restaurants in a given locality.
- Preparing Salad by using limited set of ingredients.
- Quiz with questions related to Palm Oil.
- Dart Game with the Bloggers.
- Lunch at Mainland China, Church Street – Bangalore.
It was a fun event where each of us enjoyed and had fun on a Sunday afternoon. I will share more details on the individual events.
Blind Fold Food Tasting Session @ Mainland China
We bloggers were blind-folded and were fed a Vegetarian dish. The idea was to take 2-3 bites of the dish and then list out all the ingredients in that item. It was a good fun trying to taste something when you can’t see anything. These are few things that we see in movies, but then it sure does test our senses.
Salad Preparation @ Oh! Calcutta
This was our second pit-stop where there were at least 5-7 veggies, oils and juice extracts. The idea was to use 7 ingredients to make a salad.
Though we have all have individual tastes, we end up trying to try variations. It was good fun coming up with the decision with list of items to be added.
And then presenting to the judges.
Paan Tasting @ Empire
The next stop was at Empire to be able to taste the Paan. Well, I can’t share much insight as I was just running around. The entire activity there got out in a flash.
Quiz on Palm Oil @ Russh
Dart Game @ Mainland China
Lunch @ Mainland China
After back to back events which required some calories to be burnt, we were rewarded with a wonderful buffet lunch @ Mainland China.
We all tasted some of the wonderful soups, starters, stir fried vegetables, Jasmine rice and many others. The desert was also equally good.
- Palm Oil is endowed health benefits, including balanced fatty acid composition and presence of Tocopherol and Tocotrienois, make palm oil superior to other edible oils used for dietary purposes.
- Palm Oil is a highly versatile oil and can be substituted for hard animal fats (butter and lard); for say, olive or canola liquid vegetable oils; and for partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is staple of baking, fast-food, and other industries.
- Palm oil has had a long history of food use of over 5000 years. Like all other vegetable oils, palm oil is cholesterol-free.
- Palm oil without hydrogenation is an excellent frying oil. Unlike unsaturated oils such as soya bean oil, corn oil and sunflower seed oil, it has lower tendency to oxidise and is resistant to the formation of polar component and cyclic polymers.
- Palm oil has bene demonstrated to be a necessary component in current dietary recommendations to achieve a balanced distribution between saturated, monounsaturates and polyunsaturates. When humans consume diets having such fatty acids distributions, there is a tendency to improve the overall cholesterol lipoprotein ratio.
Social Media Handles
Twitter – @thinkpalmoil
Facebook – http://bit.ly/MPOCIndiaFB
Leave a Reply Cancel reply